Friday, April 18, 2014

L is for Ladybug!

 
My dear friend, Liz, is an avid gardener, and she brought me a present last night.  A bunch of ladybugs!!!  Her real job is working as a TK teacher, and she and the kids collect ladybugs from the school field, and place them in the kids' flower garden. My little garden pipsqueak is one of her students. Yesterday's collection made it's way to my house, and I'm so excited to show you some of the pictures I took.  I'm not sure how many ladybugs and ladybug larvae she brought me, but it was A LOT.  Probably about fifty.  I let them go last night just before sunset, and when I came out to check on them this morning, it was like playing hide-and-seek.  It was great finding the little spots of red intermingled with all of the other colors in the garden. 
 
This is my favorite picture.  I found several ladybugs nestled along the row of marigolds in the center of the bean bed. 
 
In case you're wondering why I'm so excited, ladybugs are beneficial garden insects.  They eat aphids, mites, gnats, anything that they can find that's gnawing away at your garden.  I'm hoping they stick around a while, and that the friendly praying mantises that come around leave them alone and find their own meals, instead of making them a meal!!!
 
Here are a few more of the good shots I took. 
 
 

 

 
Thanks for visiting!  I hope you like the pictures!
Green Thumb Out.  :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friendly and helpful comments are always welcome. Negative or derogatory, combative or nasty comments will be deleted.