Monday, June 23, 2014

Three's a crowd...

The corn in my Three Sisters Bed is about hip high now (but of course, I'm only 5'1" so to some others it might only be knee high - - who measures this stuff anyway?), and technically, it's time to put in the pole beans. 



I'm actually afraid to.  The Caserta Squash that I planted is SO BIG that there isn't much room for the beans, and I'm afraid they won't get any sun.  So I'm waffling. 

Does it really have to be THREE SISTERS?  Isn't three a crowd?  It definitely is in the case of this bed. 

 Here's a look at the garden bed.  It's not really that big... and when I think about adding MORE to it, I just feel like it's a recipe for disaster. 

Here's an aerial view: (Ok, it's a view from me holding my iphone over the bed and taking a picture)

There IS a little space in there, and the sun IS getting to it, BUT that Caserta Squash has tiny little thorns, and I'm thinking that reaching in there to pick beans might not be a very pleasant experience. 

Not sure what I'm going to do yet.  I am sure, though, that if I do it again next year, I'm going to move a 2nd bed over and make it double the space.  I'll have to file that away in my notes for next year!!!

What's that little vine in the bottom corner?  Well, remember when the dogs dug up this bed?  You can remind yourself here.  Thanks to them, I really had no idea what was growing.  I had squash, pumpkin and melon planted in the corners of the beds, all marked and everything until those two had a go at it.  So when the plant came up, I really wasn't sure. 

It's a melon.  I wasn't sure until I found this little goodie this morning.  I was so excited, I let out a little squeal!

 
It's about the size of a tennis ball right now, but it's definitely a melon.  Up until today, I thought it might be a rogue cucumber, with it's cute little yellow flowers.  I've never grown melons before, but they love hot weather, and I definitely have plenty of that, so I'm eager to see how it goes.  If it goes well, I'll have to plant a whole bunch of them next year.  Anything that is successful is a do-over in my book!!! 
 
I'll keep you posted on the TWO Sisters Garden...  well, three if you count the melon.  Maybe she's not a sister though, maybe she's just a cousin, or a close friend. 
 
Have a great day!
Green Thumb Out

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friendly and helpful comments are always welcome. Negative or derogatory, combative or nasty comments will be deleted.